Tuesday 12 June 2018

Classics: Flour Tortillas

Like I said on Facebook - I am out of town currently and thought I would take advantage of this week to mentally recuperate from having my kids (and walking over 100km last week) and dealing with next to no sleep.  My daughter is going through this PERMANENT phase of waking up in the middle of the night - sooooo I was a wee bit grumpy when I arrived to my destination.

Something I have been meaning to try for years was my own flour tortillas.  I recall being in a restaurant in Halifax (name has escaped me) and you could see the waitresses making the tortillas and they had a fancy press and everything...

But I tucked that thought in the back of my head until the boyfriend made me promise healthy food this week.
I cheated and brought some banana bread with dark chocolate chips in it...and we may have split a kebab roll last night too...ANYWAY!

Then the thought hit me and once I get a food idea in my head - I cannot let it go.

So I went to the store and got everything I needed.

I used this recipe and had some mild screw ups.

First of all - I'm staying in a countryside place and there was NO cooking spray in the local corner store.
I survived using a couple drops of olive oil and a brush and spreading it around evenly.  Then I only used the brush between new tortillas being placed in the pan!

Second of all - he has a frying pan with tall sides and a small wok.  So I may have rolled them out too large and they were thick in some parts and thin in others.
I survived by not caring!

Third?
Because third time's a charm - I may have cooked them a wee bit too long.  Not that they were burnt but because they quickly turned into a tortilla chip!
I survived yet again by not caring and eating it anyway!

So now I know for next time.  Cook them on a lower heat or for shorter on a hotter temperature!

Otherwise - I am happy with my first attempt and despite eating half a kebab roll - I couldn't resist it and opted to make a tiny tortilla filled with homemade guacamole and salsa and spiced chicken for myself - you know, for testing purposes.

AND I DIED AND WENT TO HEAVEN.


It was soft and fluffy and warm and way tastier than the paper thin ones from the grocery store - yes even better than the herb and garlic ones (oooh I should try that next!) - which of course would've been a hell of a lot more convenient but y'know - for Instagram and blogging purposes - I just HAD to try this.  And because I know my kids won't eat these with any fillings in them - I probably won't make them in the future any time soon unless for friends or when I am visiting the boyfriend!

I shall make a new post about the fillings at another time because the gym is screaming my name...it's been far too long!  The kids had a summer holiday last week (aka no day-care or school) and will do so again next week when they're with me - so I am trying to crank out the workouts with them via walking crazy long distances and gym time when I am not with them.

Thanks for reading and happy foodie adventures!
XO,
Dominique

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet Tooth: Mini Bailey's Chocolate Cheesecakes

Cheesecakes come off as one of those desserts that cost an arm and a leg in a restaurant - but there's really not much to them if you wa...