Thursday 8 March 2018

Sweet Tooth: Sea Salt Caramel Sauce

I love caramel sauce - I'm even willing to say more than I love chocolate sauce.  There's just something about caramel sauce that brings the salty and sweet together like no other...well - other than Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - but they're hard to find in Finland and crazy expensive anyway!

This recipe I obtained from cooking school and I love it.  So. Much.
It's to the point that I try not to make it unless super special occasions (like Christmas) so I can avoid the temptation.
I guess if I forget how much I love this stuff - I won't be chugging it...

So! What can one use a jar of SS Caramel sauce on?
  • fruit dip (apples, pears, bananas etc.)
  • dip for marshmallows (bump up your s'more game!)
  • drizzle on ice-cream
  • drizzle on desserts that need caramel - like apple pie, baked and stuffed apples, Brie & Pear tart, apple strudel - the list goes on.
  • drizzle on cake for decoration
  • eat it with a spoon without shame
Anyway, I thought that making my own caramel sauce would be tricky but guess what? It isn't.

What you need:
  • 3dl whipping cream 
    • ** It's possible to use milk instead of whipping cream but it may take longer to thicken or not be as thick. I've personally used cream.**
  • 3 dl brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon of butter
  • pinch of sea salt
  • sauce pan (I use a non-stick one just in case)
  • whisk
  • clean mason jar with a lid for storage
What to do:
  1. Mix everything but sea salt into the sauce pan and bring to a boil (bubbly) until thickened.  
    1. If your butter is cold & hard - put that first.
    2. Make sure you stir regularly so it doesn't burn.
  2. Sprinkle with sea salt and stir a bit more.
  3. Once it's thickened - take the saucer off the burner and pour into your jar carefully.  Allow it to cool before putting the lid on it and store in the fridge.
I can't say how long it'll last because it just doesn't last more than 3 days in my home! I use it for everything...mostly to eat it with a spoon without shame. :P

If it doesn't seem super thick right away - let it cool and it should thicken a bit more.

XO,
Dominique

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet Tooth: Mini Bailey's Chocolate Cheesecakes

Cheesecakes come off as one of those desserts that cost an arm and a leg in a restaurant - but there's really not much to them if you wa...