Wednesday 14 March 2018

Classics: Spaghetti & Meatballs

I don't know about you but my kids pretty much hate everything I put in front of them.
I grew up with the whole "don't eat it - don't get to leave the table" method and it didn't work for me as I would secretly dump my green pepper chunks onto my brother's plate secretly....then he caught me and I got busted.

Anyway - my oldest kid (8)  has non-verbal autism and his eating habits are getting much better.
My 6-year old is a jerk when it comes to food.  This kid can eat nothing but carbs and still have a 6-pack without doing a single plank or sit up.
My 4-year old is willing to try things and she is probably one of my favourites when it comes to meal time because she is so darn appreciative of everything she eats.  Even if she doesn't like it - she isn't rude about it and just tells me politely, "Mommy - no thank you.  I don't like it.  It tastes yucky in my mouth."
Which is actually way nicer than my 6-year old screeching how disgusted he is, how he might die and puke and choke (I still haven't figured out which order that will occur) and kind of ruins meal time for everyone by his obnoxious protests.
And if he does try something - it's the size of a grain of rice and he has already decided it tastes disgusting/yucky/awful/stinky etc.

Anyway - back on track here...
I recently discovered Alton Brown has a way of cooking meatballs that are genuinely perfect every time.

Think and think hard - have you ever had a meatball that was truly crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside? I know I haven't.  Sure you can bake them or fry them - but the result is the same.  You get greasy, kinda blegh meatballs every time.  Or even worse - they are *gasp* dry.  Which is almost as bad as a dry chocolate cake....

So, something came up about a month ago on my Facebook newsfeed.  Alton Brown kitchen hacks and one of them being to bake your meatballs in an empty cardboard egg carton!
ABSOLUTELY brilliant!

"Oh but what if the cardboard catches on fire?"

Nope it won't happen unless you leave them in too long or have the heat on too high or your oven is broken and faulty.

I've never had a perfectly crispy on the outside, juice on the inside meatball before until recently and it's thanks to him.

I shared it on Instagram and my friends went nuts.  Of course there were a few that were worried about the cleanliness of the carton - which I agree - it can be risky...but Alton is a scientist.  A genius.  And I was willing to take that risk.
I also live in Finland where the risk of salmonella is quite low because there's a lot of strict regulations regarding livestock, produce and visiting farms is almost impossible.

My American friend has made them regularly herself as well and she shared with me that she even made them with a sauce in the slow cooker (first baked in the oven then in the slow cooker for 4 hours in a sauce) and they held their shape.

So naturally, I had to make spaghetti - which is typical "day 2 with the kids" supper.

What you need:

  • Ground beef, pork or lamb (or even chicken)
  • 1 medium chopped onion
  • 4-6 cloves of minced garlic
  • bread crumbs
  • 2 large eggs
  • Spices: 
    • salt
    • pepper spice mix (sometimes known as "Montreal Steak Spice")
    • rosemary
    • roasted garlic
    • smoked paprika powder
    • splash of worcestershire sauce
  • empty cardboard egg carton
  • Baking pan with baking paper on it 
    • Baking paper isn't really necessary because the magical thing is that the cardboard absorbs the grease like crazy! (Hence the crispy outside...)
  • Spaghetti
    • pot
    • water
    • pinch of salt
    • splash of oil
  • Pasta sauce
    • Deep frying pan or wok
    • You can also add spices to this:
      • oregano, parsley, rosemary, thyme, basil, salt and pepper, pinch of sugar etc.
    • You can also add chopped veggies to this:
      • garlic, onions, mushrooms, celery, carrot, spinach, zucchini or egg plant are some examples
  • Parmesan or shredded cheese on top
What to do:
  1. Pre-heat your oven to 400*F (200*C)
  2. Mix your meat, chopped onion, minced garlic, brad crumbs, eggs and spices well by hand.
  3. Form them into meatballs and place inside the egg carton.
  4. Place in oven once it's ready and bake for 20 minutes.
  5. Meanwhile, boil water for pasta and once boiling add your pinch of salt and splash of oil and cook according to instructions.
  6. Spray or add a small splash of olive oil to your other pan for the sauce and begin to fry your veggies.  Add your sauce and spices and once the meatballs are done - add those as well.
  7. DISCARD THE EGG CARTON. You probably don't want to use it again and it got two uses out of it - so toss it away in recycables or composting - whichever is suitable.
  8. Drain pasta - reserving a couple spoonfuls of pasta water to stir into the sauce...
  9. Serve the meatballs sauce on top of the pasta and enjoy!
    1. Option 1: Serve with cheesy garlic pull apart bread!
    2. Option 2: Serve with slices of garlic bread.
      1. Take sliced bread (homemade or store bought - doesn't matter) and butter it then sprinkle garlic powder on it and cheese.  Bake until toasted and cheese has melte
Another alternative:
  • Fry your veggies and meat (not making the meatballs or adding them 4 hours prior to serving) and adding the sauce to a slow cooker on low - stirring on occasion if possible.


Enjoy!
XO,
Dominique


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet Tooth: Mini Bailey's Chocolate Cheesecakes

Cheesecakes come off as one of those desserts that cost an arm and a leg in a restaurant - but there's really not much to them if you wa...