Friday 2 March 2018

Breakfast: Omelette

I have never had an omelette until I moved out and quite often, I forget that I love them.

I love the versatility and creativity that can go into an omelette.

Let's face it - an omelette is just a huge circular chunk of beaten eggs that is folded in half and stuffed with whatever is in your fridge.

Quite often I find myself filling it with the basics every time:

  • cheese
  • baby spinach
  • sliced mushrooms
  • prosciutto (not the fancy ass stuff but the cheap stuff that tastes just as fine)
Those are the things I have to have in my fridge all the time.  It is partly to make me feel better about my regularly cheating days and because I actually like the stuff.

Now to get fancier - I may add more things (again - it depends what is in my fridge):
  • bell pepper (any colour but green - eww)
  • bean sprouts
  • chopped red onion (which is actually purple but anyway....)
  • deli turkey slices or ham
  • avocado (or I'll slap that on toast instead of using butter)
  • broccoli
  • tofu cubed
  • cooked bacon (but who ever has leftover cooked bacon?!)
I use 2 large eggs and mix them in a bowl with a fork and add my spices then while I have the frying pan heating up and already sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
I used to use 3 large eggs but got crazy full and bloated and that just isn't pretty or comfortable!

By spices - I mean:
  • salt & pepper mix (often known as 5 Pepper mix or Montreal Steak Spice)
  • roasted garlic and pepper mix
  • chili flakes
  • Chili explosion (some combination of chilis crushed together)
  • Dry parsley and coriander
  • Spice mixes - whatever I am in the mood for honestly!
Once it's poured into the pan and all spread out evenly - then I go about filling half the omelette with the fillings I have chosen and let it cook a bit more - I might pop a couple slices of whole wheat bread into the toaster and pop open an avocado to spread onto my toast.
Don't get me wrong - I love buttered toast....but I am trying to be good and sound all healthy-like for now.

I carefully fold it over to trap in all the yummy fillings and let it cook a tiny bit more!
Once the toast is out of the toaster and avocado slices on it (or just straight up mashed on top with some honey and chili flakes is nice) - then I slide the omelette onto my plate, take some photos if the lighting is decent and devour it like a pig.
And sometimes I'll splash some soya sauce on top or some spicy sauce..but never ketchup.  That's just weird for me!

Yeah I am one of those people that takes photos of their food and loads it to Snapchat (@fitmama1986)  and Instagram eventually.  I don't HAVE to do it immediately - I'm not that bad...yet.

And obviously I don't eat like this everyday and I rarely bother making them when I have the kids at my place...but every now and again - it's nice to just treat myself!
Especially because I live in a small city in Finland - the concept of going out for breakfast is not very common here.  And Finnish breakfast consists typically of porridge, coffee and some sandwich fixings...maybe some fruit...maybe a bun...nothing terribly exciting.

But anyway - the point of this post is that omelettes are easy and can contain whatever the heck you want them to.  Kinda like fried rice or a stir-fry in the sense that you can fill it with anything and it's going to be awesome.  They're forgiving like that.

XO,
Dominique

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet Tooth: Mini Bailey's Chocolate Cheesecakes

Cheesecakes come off as one of those desserts that cost an arm and a leg in a restaurant - but there's really not much to them if you wa...